Take positive action today and help us to protect marine mammals and their oceans with a donation to Project Jonah.
Project Jonah New Zealand exists for one simple reason – marine mammals desperately need our help. Your support of our work will make a real difference in helping us continue to provide essential aid to marine mammals in distress.
Regular giving is the most effective way to support our work. Giving monthly means we can spend less time fundraising and more time actively rescuing and protecting whales. And in the end, that’s what it’s all about.
How your donation can help
Purchase Vital Equipment for Strandings
- $20 will buy a durable and re-usable bucket to carry equipment and to keep stranded animals cool
- $25 buys a basic first aid kit for one whale
- $50 will pay for the bi-annual certification of a dive tank (used to fill our pontoons each and every time we save a stranded whale)
- $100 will allow us to contact local volunteers in a stranding emergency
- $200 purchases 10 high visibility vests so that Project Jonah medics can be easily identified during a stranding
- $500 allows us to co-ordinate a region of volunteers via text during a typical stranding emergency
- $1,000 buys a dolphin stretcher, essential for moving dolphins quickly back to water
- $2,000 purchases a volunteer briefing banner or will help equip a rescue trailer with vital equipment
- $10,000 will buy an inflatable pontoon set, essential to help re-float stranded whales
- $12,000 will help fund a local schools educator for a year
- $15,000 buys an inflatable whale for ‘on beach’ training practice
- $20,000 funds an inflatable rescue boat – a fast and reliable way to transport volunteers to isolated beaches and a vital way for us to monitor and track refloated whales
Helping dolphins & whales both here & overseas
Over the years we’ve shared our knowledge and skills around the world. Our inflatable pontoons, rescue techniques and training programme are being used in Australia, Canada, the UK, Hawaii, Taiwan and Samoa to name but a few.
Whilst we can’t predict the exact timing and location of strandings in New Zealand, our job is to be as prepared as possible. No matter what time of day, where the stranding occurs, or how difficult the conditions, we’re ready to offer our lifesaving support.
Speed of response is essential, and quick action can prevent a disaster from becoming a catastrophe. We have learned from experience that being prepared plays a major role in saving these animals lives. But our team of volunteers and experts needs quality equipment and training to get the job done.
We urgently need to train more people around the country, particularly in remote regions and known stranding hotspots. We need more equipment and emergency gear, so we can provide the very best care to these animals when they need it most. And we need to be able to get our senior team of experts to the stranding site as quickly as possible.
By supporting our work through a donation today, your money will be used as soon as it is needed. Help us to be ready in advance, so we can save lives the next time disaster strikes.
Emergency Stranding Helpline Appeal Funding
Surprised, overwhelmed, terrified! How would you feel if you came across a stranded four tonne whale on your morning stroll? And what would you do?
I was on a call until 1am one Boxing Day advising on a whale stranding. Knowing that we helped was a great late Christmas present!
But it costs money to run.
We are the only charity in New Zealand with a specialist marine mammal stranding helpline (0800 4 WHALE) which is answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. The first few hours can be vital in determining the outcome of a stranding.
Healthy whales that have stranded can quickly die from heatstroke or even drown when the next tide comes in if not tended to quickly. A quick response gives the best chance of a successful re-float.
And with the summer stranding season nearly upon us it’s more important than ever that our helpline is operating so please donate today and help keep our helpline open.
P.S. The best way to ensure we are always able to answer the phone is with a regular gift. Regular gifts are hugely important to us, they allow us to plan for the future because we know, day in day out that we will have a steady income stream that we can rely upon.